[mythtv] Solution to CableCARD problem?

Tim Moore Tim.Moore at fuzzylabs.com
Mon Jul 9 22:12:15 UTC 2007

> > Interesting idea.  Would it still be possible to do commercial flagging?
> > What about frontend & backend on different boxes?
> >

> If you can't get to decrypted data, you can't do the commercial
> flagging.  If you can get to decrypted data, you can't get certified.
> So no flagging.  Also it sounds like the data goes from the device
> straight to the video card so I don't think having a remote frontend
> would work.

Agreed.  Commercial flagging would be very difficult or impossible.

Maybe the broadcasters will eventually do away with adverts?  A pipe dream?
The DVR has already significantly damaged that revenue stream, and
sponsorships, product placement, graphic overlays and premium content is
getting more popular.  We may see a day in the not too distant future where
traditional advertisements are replaced altogether.

Sky TV in the UK has had interactive adverts for around 3 years on its DVRs.
We could find that the desire for web integration with TV programming, and
the advertising revenue that it could attract, eventually stimulates
innovation in the media companies rather than stifling it...