[mythtv] Solution to CableCARD problem?

Billy Macdonald billymacdonald at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 19:56:38 UTC 2007

On 7/8/07, Doug Meredith <doug.meredith at skyridge.com> wrote:

> > So, the solution is not to make decryption part of a MythTV system, but
>
> > to make MythTV a control solution for a bare-bones DVR that is
>
> > installed inside the PC chassis.
>

> Interesting idea.  Would it still be possible to do commercial flagging?
> What about frontend & backend on different boxes?

If you can't get to decrypted data, you can't do the commercial
flagging.  If you can get to decrypted data, you can't get certified.
So no flagging.  Also it sounds like the data goes from the device
straight to the video card so I don't think having a remote frontend
would work.

Personally, I think that the best thing that can happen for
enthusiasts is that the analog component path remains a primary video
pathway.  Hopefully soon someone will come out with a commodity
component HD encoder so that we can record HD from cableboxes.
Something like the HDHomeRun but for component it would be very cool.

Well, ideal would be unencrypted QAM or being able to get unencumbered
digital from the STB, but that's a pipe dream.

And ideally there will be enough component only HD display devices to
prevent the cable companies from limiting the component output.

Billy