[mythtv] Proposal for Zap2It labs

Justin Moore justin at cs.duke.edu
Wed Jul 4 21:52:08 UTC 2007

My understanding is that Zap2It is discontinuing the free listings
because some "home" users were using the data for money-making purposes.
Assuming they saw their listings being used, why not use an old
cartographer's trick; introduce subtle errors into the data for each
customer and when you see another set of listings, figure out which
"home" customer is leaking the data.  See

http://www.ianbyrne.free-online.co.uk/special/errors.htm

This would help Zap2It track down the ones leaking their listings, allow
us TOS-abiding users to keep our listings, and generally keep everyone
happy.  Obviously there are more details to work out, but this general
approach could be feasible.

-jdm

--
Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0129
Email:  justin at cs.duke.edu
Web:    http://www.cs.duke.edu/~justin/