[mythtv] Plugin idea MythCopy

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Tue Jan 16 23:32:38 UTC 2007

> At this moment MythTV lacks the ability to easily copy CD's or DVD's.
> I want to start this project in order to develop a plugin which will
> be an easy to use interface to copy a cd or dvd.

Hi Willem. That would be a good way to learn about
plugin programming, although I suspect having a new
plugin for disk copying is a little bit wasteful?

1) As you have noted, MythVideo and MythArchive
already half do this. My ideal would be to have
a "disk image library" which could have disks
imported/ripped into it, and disks burned from it.
This would conceptually be MythArchive?

Also, there are much easier ways to do it:

2) The way I do this at home for my wife is:
% cat copyDVD.sh
readcd dev=/dev/dvd f=/myth/mythburn/temp/dvd.iso && \
eject && \
xmessage -buttons OK -default OK 'Please remove original and insert a
blank disk'
dvdrecord -v dev=/dev/dvd -dao -v /myth/mythburn/temp/dvd.iso && \
eject && \
rm /myth/mythburn/temp/dvd.iso
% less /usr/share/mythtv/dvdmenu.xml
    <button>
       <type>BURN</type>
       <text>Duplicate a DVD</text>
       <action>EXEC xterm -fn *18* -e /home/nigel/copyDVD.sh</action>
    </button>

3) To make this a bit nicer, it could create user jobs
for imaging the disk and ejecting, then putting up an
OSD message or sound telling the user to insert a blank,
and then another user job to do the burn and verification.

That way, the user could watch a but of TV in between?

Anyway. I don't mean to discourage you from coding.
Just wanted to give you some other options?

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au| "Peacemaking is our profession"
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia |Motto of Burpelson Airforce Base