[mythtv] [patch] Patch for Studdering OSD w/ XvMC (HD)

Ben Howe bmhowe at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 16:15:09 UTC 2007

This patch is for users of release-20-fixes that have audio and video
studdering when the OSD appears for 0.20 (may apply to trunk also, but
untested).  I didn't have this problem in 0.19 when I used the
UseChromaKeyOSD trick, but I can't seem to use that trick in 0.20 for
two reasons:

1.  Audio sync is roughly 100-200 ms off (about the same in 0.19)
2.  My system can't play 1080i smoothly for some reason if I disable
XRandR.  When I enable XRandR, the UseChromaKeyOSD trick doesn't seem
to work.

So, I recently thought that for 90% of my watching activities (Pause,
RWND, FFWD, commercial skip, and bookmarks), the OSD can be turned off
right before resuming playback.  This results in virtually no audio and
video studdering because video is never playing at the same time that
the OSD is displayed. I am posting this patch for the people that are
in the same boat as me; it won't do anything to address the studdering
problems with the Menu or CC, but like I said, it has made the
studdering disappear for 90% of my normal viewing habits, and if you're
in my same position, I hope this helps...

The reason that I am not posting this to svn.mythtv.org is because
right now, it is not suitable for inclusion into the trunk or
release-0-20-fixes because I wouldn't want to suggest that I change OSD
behavior for the people that don't have any problems (non-HD/non-XvMC).

1 other important suggestions if you want to use this patch.  In your
OSD theme XML file (see $PREFIX/share/mythtv/themes/ directory), set
fadeaway to 0 (probably 30 by default).

Note: Changesets 11327 and 11364 (Stop OSD from _always_ getting drawn)
are included in my patch because they have not been ported to
release-0-20-fixes.  I think they *should* be, but I don't have SVN
control.  Without these changesets, I couldn't even use 0.20.

-Ben

PS - I am open to feedback, but my hope is that somebody else might
take this patch as a starting point and run with it to include it into
SVN (with DB preferences to enable it, etc.).  I probably won't have
the time to see it all the way to that point.

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.