[mythtv] Problems Compiling SVN under Slackware 11

Brian Buchanan BrianBuchanan at interfast.ca
Tue Jan 9 02:38:34 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: "Brian Buchanan" <BrianBuchanan at interfast.ca>
To: mythtv-dev at mythtv.org
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 13:19:51 -0500
Subject: [mythtv] Problems Compiling SVN under Slackware 11

> I had a nice setup, with a Ubuntu front-end and Slackware Backend, everything
> was working fine.
>
> Then I updated the front-end to Edgy, and the new packages for MythTV.
>
> I learned that Edgy's packages are based on 0.20-fixes which is using
> Protocol
> 31,  and my backend is using plain old 0.20 (from LinuxPackages.net) and
> Protocol 30.
>
> So this set me about downloading from SVN for 0.20-fixes for my backend.
>
> My problem is when it the build process gets to linking libmythtv-0.20.so.0.
> ld
> takes HOURS.
>
> I am building on a Celeron 400 w/384MB, so I'd expect it to be slow, but 183
> minutes linking libmythtv-0.20.so?  Is this typical? (The cel 400 is fine
> with a
> PVR-150, very low CPU usage, watching TV is fine)
>
> Below is what's on my screen, it looks like it builds moc_hdhrsignalmonitor.o
> just fine, but sits when linking libmythtv-0.20.so.0.  Top shows >98% cpu
> usage
> by the ld process.
>
> I left it running last night and I think it eventually finished, but I had
> other
> build problems.  (I think the older 0.20 library was getting linked in, but
> I've
> removed it now and trying to build again)
>
> ps of the ld process follows.
>
> distcc -c -pipe -march=pentiumpro -I/opt/kde/include/artsc -pthread
> -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -Wall -W -O3 -Wall
> -Wno-switch -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fomit-frame-pointer
> -I/usr/include/freetype2

<...deleted...>

Well, if anyone else runs into this, don't try using distcc unless all the other
machines are running the same .. everything.  In my case I was distcc to another
Slack11 box and a Ubuntu Edgy, and that seems to be source of my problem.

Also, I learned that omitting the CXX=distcc from the make line doesn't actually
stop distcc from distributing, you have to unset the DISTCC_HOSTS variable.

And, it turns out I was using the latest SVN, not the SVN for 0.20-fixes.
Always something to learn.

._.