[mythtv] Problems Compiling SVN under Slackware 11

Brian Buchanan BrianBuchanan at interfast.ca
Mon Jan 8 21:38:51 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: "Brian Buchanan" <BrianBuchanan at interfast.ca>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 13:19:51 -0500

> I had a nice setup, with a Ubuntu front-end and Slackware Backend, everything
> was working fine.
> Then I updated the front-end to Edgy, and the new packages for MythTV.
> I learned that Edgy's packages are based on 0.20-fixes which is using
> Protocol
> 31,  and my backend is using plain old 0.20 (from LinuxPackages.net) and
> Protocol 30.
> So this set me about downloading from SVN for 0.20-fixes for my backend.
> My problem is when it the build process gets to linking libmythtv-0.20.so.0. 
> ld
> takes HOURS.
> I am building on a Celeron 400 w/384MB, so I'd expect it to be slow, but 183
> minutes linking libmythtv-0.20.so?  Is this typical? (The cel 400 is fine
> with a
> PVR-150, very low CPU usage, watching TV is fine)
> Below is what's on my screen, it looks like it builds moc_hdhrsignalmonitor.o
> just fine, but sits when linking libmythtv-0.20.so.0.  Top shows >98% cpu
> usage
> by the ld process.
> I left it running last night and I think it eventually finished, but I had
> other
> build problems.  (I think the older 0.20 library was getting linked in, but
> I've
> removed it now and trying to build again)
> ps of the ld process follows.


I took at shot at upgrading my binutils from to 2.17 and the ld only
takes a few seconds now.

It seems I'm still left with failed build with a bunch of
libs/libmyth/libmyth-0.20.so: undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail_local'

so I'll try to crack that next.


More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list