[mythtv] Connecting to database via hostname

Bert Haverkamp bert at bertenselena.net
Mon Jan 8 08:38:01 UTC 2007

Hello all, I want to give an update on my DHCP problem

I created a ticket 2885, with an initial patch.

The patch was based on gethostbyname. However this was rejected by Isaac,
because QT has its own methods for this. He is absolutely right.

I wil go off and write a new patch, but I would like to ask for some
comments:
the perfect QT solution is QSocket::connectToHost.

But we use mythsocket instead of Qsocket? I understand Qsocket is not
thread-save? Does this mean that we can get rid of MythSocket again after
the migration to QT 4?
I read that QT 4 is thread-safe.

Furthermore: I am aware that providing the backend with a stable IP address
via DHCP is also a solution. But I don't think changing the network in order
to install a mythbackend is a very elegant solution:-)

Regards,

Bert
www.oatfield.nl

2007/1/4, Bert Haverkamp <bert at bertenselena.net>:

> Dear all,
>
> I am looking into an issue I have with setting up a frontend-backend
> system.
> My backend gets its IP via DHCP. Therefore I want to rely on the hostname
> completely, instead of the IP address.
> However, entering the hostname in mythtv-setup-> general doesn't work
> right now.
>
> This is because, Myhtsocket::connect currently does not recognise a
> hostname, only addresses. I am looking for something like
> Qsocket::connecttohost. Has anyone looked into this already? Is there
> already an implementation of this floating somewhere? Or should I implement
> this myself?
>

> Regards,
>
> Bert
>
> --