[mythtv] Commercial replacement instead of skipping

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Feb 27 19:00:23 UTC 2007

On Feb 27, 2007, at 10:16 AM, Hal Lightwood wrote:

> I am new to MythTV and have a simple question.  Would it be
> possible to create a plugin or modify the commercial skip code to
> allow for the content to be replaced with my own video instead of
> just skipping?  Ideally this should be done while watching Live TV,
> however I have gleened from some other posts that the commercial
> skipping is processed after the recording is finished.  Could it be
> done in real time?   The idea is that IF I have to watch Live
> television I want to see my own vidoes while waiting for the show
> to continue.  Ie, I watched the Oscar's live the other night and
> was subjected to alot of commercials I couldn't skip.  it would
> have been great if I got to watch my own stuff instead.
>
> Are any developers interested in working on something like this?
> There may be some financial incentive.

Commercial flagging does not work in real time. Given the nature of
it, I can't imagine it ever will. The simple work-around to this
problem is to watch LiveTV delayed for about 15-20 (or more depending
on the length of your show) minutes so the commflag can do its thing
and you'll miss the commercials that way.