[mythtv] Channel scanning/validation in trunk (feedback post r14355)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Aug 30 23:28:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 18:50 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> The purpose of this thread is to provide feedback on the channel
> validation patch Daniel recently added to SVN trunk ([14355] , see
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3842#comment:40).  AIUI, Daniel is
> looking for feedback from users with various different configurations
> before backporting the fix to 0.20.2.
Yep.

> Also, Steven Adeff reported that it worked for his firewire-based
> setup.  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/286476#286476
>
> Oh, and on the wow side...  Nice work on the scanner since the last time
> I used it, Daniel.  Looks good, gives good feedback, and is easy to
> use. Once I did my scan, I used "Fetch channels from listings source"
> and it matched up the xmltvid's automatically (and even took care of
> subchannels where the broadcaster didn't distinguish between
> callsigns).  This was soooo much easier than the last time I did a
> scan.
When did you last do a channel scan?

BTW Except for a recent DVB-S fix, the channel scanner in 0.20.2 is
better than the one in trunk, I believe Janne and Jarod carefully
back-ported just the fixes so 0.20.2 has the most solid channel scanner
in MythTV yet. The channel scanner in trunk has some new features, but
it hasn't been put through it's paces like the one in 0.20.2 has.

Anyway, I'm not looking for feedback on the channel scanner anymore
than usual. At the moment I'm more interested in whether the channel
validation prevents channels from being added to the a Video Source
when they should be added, or adds channels when it shouldn't be
adding them. If someone is using esoteric recorders like DBOX2 or
IPTV, or using a diverse collection of recorder types, feedback is
especially appreciated.

-- Daniel