[mythtv] Using my main mythtv box for development

Roo roo.watt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 04:39:47 UTC 2007

On 22/04/07, Matt Doran <matt.doran at papercut.biz> wrote:

> Thanks guys.  Both very positive experiences ... I might go ahead make
> the leap! (after I've done some backing up  ;).
>
> Up until now I've been using the ubuntu packages (but compiling them
> myself to keep it up to date).    I think I'll just uninstall these
> (leaving the DB and all recordings, etc in place), and then compile and
> install from trunk.    I assume this will just upgrade the DB
> automatically, etc.
>
> Any gotchas you can see going through this process?

As Kevin said, keep a close eye on the mailing lists and you should be OK.
I have a gmail account and subscribe to mythtv-commit, mythtv-dev and
mythtv-users, I can then keep all emails and not worry about a
cluttered/full mailbox (the lists are quiet active).

When you upgrade you need to run mythtv-setup, this will upgrade the DB
Schema for you. After installing the newly compiled binaries and before
starting mythbackend just run mythtv-setup and watch the log file, if the DB
Schema needed to be updated you should see a log message stating it was/is
updated to version N.

One thing that caught me out is:
It seems you need to compile mythtv first **and install** it before
compiling the plugins. When the plugins are compiled they use the myth
libraries from the installation directory. I didn't realise this until
recently when I had a problem compiling mythmusic, it wouldn't build because
it was using the old installed libraries instead of the newly compiled
libraries in the mythtv source tree.

Good luck, let us know if you have any problems,

Roo.