[mythtv] Using my main mythtv box for development

Roo roo.watt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 03:42:30 UTC 2007

On 22/04/07, Matt Doran <matt.doran at papercut.biz> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm interested in submitting a patch or two to mythtv, and wanted to
> develop the patches against trunk.  But I need to develop of my one and
> only myth box, which is currently running 0.20-fixes.
> Developing/testing patches would be much easier if I was running trunk
> ... but I use this box daily for all my TV watching and recording needs,
> and it needs to be reasonably stable.

I have been using trunk from the very beginning, I was (and still) using
Gentoo when I first setup my myth more than 2 years ago. During that time I
have kept reasonably up to date with trunk and I don't remember ever having
a problem that caused a recording to be missed.

The devs of mythtv are users (as is the case with nearly all open source
projects), they seem to be conservative (not in a negative way) when it
comes to the scheduler code changes or other areas that may break core
functionality. ie scheduled recording of programs. I have been quiet
impressed.

Occasionally I have the odd problem upgrading, it has usually been because I
am not a programmer and made the odd mistake or that there was a compile
time problem. I usually worked through my own issues or just checked out a
previous version if I couldn't work out the problem and then tried the
mailing list for help.

If I am going to resync to trunk I just backup my mysql database, make a
note of the current compiled svn versison (in case I need to backout the
upgrade) and then svn update and compile.

The above is nothing special, just thought I would offer what my experience
has been for the last few years, note that I am not a programmer. I have a
single combined FE/BE, soon I hope to setup a another FE and maybe dedicated
BE .

IMHO the benefit of running trunk is that you can contribute to the
direction of myth, you can provide feedback on new features as they are
developed and help by testing. Mind you I haven't had any earth shattering
ideas to share yet, but I am still thinking ;)

HTH,

Roo