[mythtv] virtual tuner via BitTorrent plug-in

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Mon Apr 16 21:32:12 UTC 2007

Martin Long wrote:
> Yes... but the point is, ripping or copying a CD or DVD is NOT illegal
> unless the CD or DVD is copyrighted material. A photocopier is not illegal,
> photocopying an entire novel is. A car may do speeds up to 200 miles an
> hour, but the car itself is not illegal. Rip / copy programs are not
> illegal, as, like I said, you might want to rip / copy your own personal
> material (home videos, recordings of your own band etc). Circumventing DRM,
> however is illegal in the US.
>
> However, I suppose that you could also say in the same light that
> filesharing is not illegal, if it is not copyrighted material. :S

I can't really comment on the legalities of the arguments, but I do have
a scenario: I can (and do) record via MythTV the Fox TV show 24, in HD,
using an OTA antenna. I also have MythTV remove the commercials, so when
I watch the show, all I see is 24, no commercials, no advertising, etc.
Say I miss an episode for whatever reason and I hypothetically download
the show and watch it, with the exact same user experience. I suspect my
wife would not even notice a difference. How is that illegal? The show
is broadcast freely over the air for anyone with the proper equipment to
receive it, so if they care to give it away like that, then how can they
be upset if I get the same show via alternate methods? I haven't
deprived them of advertising eyeballs because I don't ever see them
anyway, and I'm not a 'Neilsen' household, so they aren't losing
ratings. Some shows allow you to download the episodes from their
website, so again, where is the problem exactly?

Anyway, I've always wondered about that, I'm sure someone will provide
an argument against my hypotheses...

Tom