[mythtv] Fwd: Ubuntu Feisty - Weekly builds (and packaging) of trunk

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Apr 13 03:59:38 UTC 2007

Roo wrote:

> I believe Mario is one of the Ubuntu Mythtv Package maintainers, I quote
> from a recent post on mythtv-users below:
>
> "Roo,
> If there is a significant interest in building trunk as well, it
> shouldn't be too much trouble to do weekly svn builds as well, i'm just
> wary because of this in case people decided to mix and match trunk and
> release-0-20-fixes.  Could you determine interest and let me know?"

I suspect a weekly build of SVN trunk would not be terribly useful.  A user who
closely follows development and sees a new feature they want will probably not
wait for up to a week for it to show up in a new build; they'll just build from
source.  It also doesn't help try out features/fixes that only show up in
patches in trac or in a branch.  I also suspect that, no matter how many
warnings you post about it, it would be used in production systems by newbies
and dabblers eager for the latest features, and they would would be unprepared
for protocol version changes and the inevitable regressions.  They would be
much better served by the weekly builds of 0.20-fixes.

I do think it would be useful to have an up-to-date *source* package for SVN
trunk with all the dependencies, build dependencies, init scripts, install
scripts, etc.  This would make it easier to build and install the latest SVN
trunk version in an ubuntu-friendly way, and make it easier to upgrade to trunk
from installed 0.20 packages.  Ideally, this would actually leave out the
pristine source part of the source package, expecting you to download it
through SVN.  I imagine the patches and control files don't change very often,
so this would still be useful.  I don't know if you can actually build a debian
source package that leaves out the pristine source code, though.

--
Peter Schachte              Let's face it, conceptual purity is not where
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        Prolog's at.