[mythtv] need tone to make diseqc switch work ???

Yeasah Pell yeasah at schwide.com
Fri Sep 1 13:13:01 UTC 2006

Simeon Simeonov wrote:
> --- Yeasah Pell <yeasah at schwide.com> wrote:
>

>> That one is really interesting to be sure. You're
>> supposed to turn off
>> tone before doing diseqc (if it's on), to give a
>> silence period between
>> the continuous tone and the diseqc tone modulation.
>> (Some cards/drivers
>> do this automatically though) If you are using a
>> universal LNB and the
>> last tuning you did was for the high band, the tone
>> will indeed be on at
>> that time, so by not turning it off you're violating
>> the diseqc spec.
>> But hey, if it works. Maybe you should turn the tone
>> *on* there instead
>>

> I did try that and indeed it helped - 80 % of the time
> I get the switch to work. I do not understand that. My
> rotor works in any case whether I set the tone on or
> off. But the switch would need tone on??? to perform
> the switch. To make things more interesting I tried 3
> different switches and one of them is Spaun switch.

Do you remember if it works reliably on all those switches without the
modified tone code if you remove the rotor and plug the switch directly
in? It almost sounds like the rotor is having difficulty passing the
modulated tone (diseqc) through unmolested, and having a continuous tone
before the modulation helps somehow.