[mythtv] OS X 10.3 and MythTV 0.20

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Tue Oct 31 09:15:08 UTC 2006

Hello all,

Quick background:

Last year, I brought my Mac Mini with OS X 10.3 for the purpose of using
as a living room media centre for TV, video, pictures, and other stuff.
  I've been using MythTV all the time until I upgraded to 0.20 and every
time I try to run MythTV it crashes.  Talking to David Snider who
supplied the binaries from his website, he has given me a lot of ideas
but of all is not successful.

First of all, he suggested using a slightly older SVN build, which had
the same problem.  I then tried the latest SVN build, again didn't work.
  Then I decided to compile MythTV myself and it failed.  David said it
was because I'm using GCC version 3.3.  He suggested upgrading my XCode
tools package, I'm using XCode tools 1.5 which contains GCC version 3.3.
  I need at least XCode tools 2.1 which contains GCC version 4 but it
requires OS X 10.4 and refuses to install on OS X 10.3.

So I'm in a little pickle.  I can't upgrade GCC because I've got 10.3.
I can't use MythTV as I'm using 10.3.  The only way right now that is a
obvious solution is to upgrade to 10.4 as the binary definitely works
fine on there but that means I'll have to pay £89 to upgrade.  I don't
really want to pay because I don't need to use any extra features or
anything, I just want to watch MythTV.  Can anyone suggest any other
solution for me to try and fix MythTV for OS X 10.3 please?

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

Regards - Piers