[mythtv] Simple cross-platform telnet interface GUI for mythtv remote?

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 18:48:43 UTC 2006

I frequently spend time watching TV with my laptop on my lap and the
mythtv remote somewhere in the room. I'm usually running a vnc session
to my mythtv box as well...

It would be really great to have a simple GUI app that looks roughly
like a remote control and sends telnet commands to $MYTHTVHOST.

It would be even better to have it use a cross-platform toolkit so
that I could run it under Linux and Windows (and MacOS).

I did find this for MacOS:
http://web.mac.com/grhowes/iWeb/Generally%20Helpful%20Software/Remote%20Remote%20GH.html
... and there is/was MythWebRemote that could be modified to use
telnet instead of kbde, but...

I'd really like to have the following:

- GUI that looks like a DVR remote control that can be controlled by
mouse clicks
- when the "remote" window has focus, I'd like to redirect most
keypresses directly to mythtv so that I can use the entire keyboard as
if it were my mythtv keyboard

This would be great for commercial cutting and a lot of other things.

-Ross