[mythtv] State of play Re. DB support (MySQL versions, Postgresql etc.)

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Sun May 14 20:44:07 UTC 2006

Fernando Vilas wrote:
> On Sunday May 14 2006 14:05, Isaac Richards wrote:
>> I don't see the point of supporting one big database engine (mysql)
>> as well as supporting another big database engine (postgres).
> You're right, it does create additional difficulty in development,
> especially in the testing department.  However, there are people who
> are not "philosophically opposed to MySQL", but rather already have a
> different db server installed for other reasons and don't want to
> maintain 2 db servers on the same system.

Ironically, I'm in the same boat with another bit of software I want to
use at work that only supports Postgresql or SQLite. Doubly ironically,
that bit of software is Trac. ;)

I see there is a MySql DB backend but it's not officially part of Trac
yet. Hey ho. I guess it's SQLite... (and the slowness it brings).

Overall I think DB abstraction is nice but agree it is a PITA
development wise. I guess it's down to the people who care enough to add
the patches to support other DBs (just like in Trac really!).

|     Colin Guthrie      |
| myth(at)colin.guthr.ie |
| http://colin.guthr.ie/ |