[mythtv] State of play Re. DB support (MySQL versions, Postgresql etc.)

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Sun May 14 19:05:56 UTC 2006

On Sunday 14 May 2006 2:52 pm, Fernando Vilas wrote:
> On Sunday May 14 2006 13:12, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > On Sunday 14 May 2006 4:53 am, usleepless at gmail.com wrote:
> > > i for one hope mythtv obtains multiple database support in the future
> > > so i can run newer versions of mythtv.
> >
> > It won't.  If anything, we'll be moving to an embedded db w/ a custom
> > server on top of that.
> >
> > Isaac
>
> Isaac,
>
> The MythTV wiki at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Feature_Wishlist_(Backend_Addons)
> claims that adding SQLite or PostgreSQL support is on the wishlist.  Is
> this no longer correct?

sqlite would have been an option - except that initial testing showed it to be
about 6x slower at the main scheduler query than mysql is.  Too slow.

I don't see the point of supporting one big database engine (mysql) as well as
supporting another big database engine (postgres).  Doesn't really add any
value that I can see except for people who are philosophically opposed to
running mysql, and it adds considerably to the difficulty of development
(having to test with both, etc).

Isaac