[mythtv] Italian localization

Daniel Staaf dst at bostream.nu
Thu May 11 13:29:21 UTC 2006

Alessio Milan skrev:
> Hi mythtv developers,
>
> I'd like to help translating texts in Italian language, because current
> translation is very poor. I checked out "mythtv" subdir from subversion
> repository and I found that I need to edit i18n/mythfrontend_it.ts. So
> it seems that the correct steps I should perform are:
>
> 1) translate text on that file, removing the attribute
> 'type="unfinished"' from all translated items.

Note that the .ts files are in UTF-8, I suggest you use Qt Linguist or
Kbabel to edit them. In Qt Linguist you press Ctrl+L to move to the next
untranslated message, translate it and then press Ctrl+Enter to mark it
finished and jump to the next untranslated message. Kbabel has support
for spell checking. To make sure you have all new strings run

lupdate translate.pro

When you are done translating run

lupdate -noobosolete translate.pro

to remove old obsolete translations.

To test your translations run

lrelease translate.pro

or (faster)

lrelease mythfrontend_it.ts

to compile mythfrontend_it.qm and then install as usual.

> 2) generate a patch with svn diff
>
> 3) post the patch file as an attach to a new Trac ticket.

Mark it patch and assign it to "oscar".

> 4) repeat 1 to 3 steps for plugins as well, if my fingers are still
> working. ;-)
>
> Are the steps above correct?

Yes.

> Are there other files to be translated?

Yes, there are a few files under the themes directory too:

DVR/mainmenu.xml
DVR/tv_schedule.xml
DVR/tvmenu.xml
DVR/main_settings.xml
DVR/util_menu.xml
DVR/tv_search.xml
DVR/tv_lists.xml
DVR/tv_settings.xml
DVR/recpriorities_settings.xml
classic/mainmenu.xml
classic/tv_schedule.xml
classic/tvmenu.xml
classic/main_settings.xml
classic/tv_search.xml
classic/tv_settings.xml
classic/recpriorities_settings.xml

An Italian translation is provided in some of the sections but not all.

/ Daniel