[mythtv] Interesting Comparison

Green, Bob bob.green at logicacmg.com
Fri Mar 3 10:44:16 UTC 2006

Okay, its head above the parapet time! Guys, guys, what's going on here?
Isn't this how wars start? Whatever happened to reasoned debate; to the
freedom to express an opinion without being shot down in flames. So,
someone has a new tool that he thinks is the dog's wotsits - how is that
a Bad Thing(tm). Do none of you programmers out there not remember what
its like to write some code that you think is great and you end up
boring all your friends with the details. Anyway I digress; my view (for
what it's worth) is that we should be openminded about any new
developments, large or small that in any way overlap MythTv's raison
d'etre. We can't believe that we have a monopoly on good ideas. As soon
as we stop looking outward, we end up with a product that is in danger
of becoming stale. Give this guy a chance. We might hate his offering,
we might like it - who knows, but whatever we do, we should encourage
this sort of thing rather than flame it. For those of you who remember
life before Linux, remember what happened to Andrew Tannenbaum of Minix
fame. He absolutely flamed Linus Torvalds and his software when he
announced version 0.11 of Linux and within a couple of months he and his
(up to then) thriving operating system had been consigned to obscurity.

Oh well, I'll stop ranting now, I guess I've made my point - the
stupidest idea is one that is never voiced for fear of it being
ridiculed.

Time for a lie down in a quiet room, I think :-)

-Bob

Bob Green
Rapid Software Infrastructure Manager
LogicaCMG