[mythtv] Fwd: MythTV on Mac OS X for Intel

Geoffrey Kruse gkruse at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 03:32:00 UTC 2006

> On Jan 26, 2006, at 11:00 PM, Geoffrey Kruse wrote:
>

>> On Jan 26, 2006, at 10:53 PM, James Lauser wrote:
>>
>>> Just running --enable-mmx errors out with "error, no memalign() but
>>> sse enabled, either disable it or use --enable-memalign-hack".
>>> Adding --enable-memalign-hack fails with "{standard
>>> input}:unknown:file contains unmatched .macro and .endmacro for:
>>> FDCT_ROW_SSE2_H1it"
>>>

>> This is where is gets a little complicated.  Mac OSX has no
>> memalign() function because malloc() returns aligned memory by
>> default.  So I -think- one could do something like this:
>>
>> #ifndef memalign()
>> 	#define memalign() malloc()
>> #endif
>>
>> I'm sure someone will correct me on the code part of it, but I am
>> sure that malloc returns aligned memory by default.
>>

> I may have to eat my words on that part as I can't find the
> reference I thought I saw.  While looking though, I found that when
> ffmpeg is configured, HAVE_MEMALIGN is defined, could this be
> useful in this case?

Actually, I found the reference:

Quote: "memalign doesn't exist on Mac OS. malloc always returns 16
bytes aligned memory. This macro is only defined if there is no
HAVE_MEMALIGN defined by the configure script. If 16 bytes alignment
not enouth there is valloc that allocates on a page bondary but there
is no such function as memalign."

  This is from: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2005-03/
msg00037.html

I hope at least some of what I said tonight is helpful to someone who
knows WTF they are talking about.

Geoff