[mythtv] osx-packager.pl breaks after install of fink

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Fri Jan 13 04:20:13 UTC 2006

Nigel Pearson <nigel at ind.tansu.com.au> writes:

>>         if test x`which pkg-config 2>/dev/null` != x"" ; then
>>             if `pkg-config --atleast-version 0.6.9 libexif` ; then
>>                 echo "#define NEW_LIB_EXIF 1" >> \
>>                     ./mythgallery/mythgallery/config.h
>>             fi
>> Before I installed fink, I did not have pkg-config, so it would go to
>> the else statement and and put the proper line in my config.h.  If I
>> now manually run the 'pkg-config --atleast-version 0.6.9 libexif, I
>> get a 1 for the return code, so the NEW_LIB_EXIF doesn't get set.
>
> 	Hmmm. So why is fink's pkg-config lying?
> What does `pkg-config --modversion libexif` reveal?

>> My question is, shouldn't the configure script be rewritten as:
>>
>>         if test x"$newexif" = x"yes" ; then
>>               echo "#define NEW_LIB_EXIF 1" >> \
>>                  ./mythgallery/mythgallery/config.h
>>         else
>>             if test x`which pkg-config 2>/dev/null` != x"" ; then
>>                 if `pkg-config --atleast-version 0.6.9 libexif` ; then
>
> 	Probably not, because:
> 1) the purpose of configure is to autodetect features, and
> 2) the default of newexif is yes

>> This way, I can force the NEW_LIB_EXIF with the --enable-new-exif flag.
>
> 	Would only be needed if we changed the default to no!

For OSX, isn't this simple?  It looks like the exif package downloaded
by osx-packager.pl is just never installed in any way that pkg-config
could possibly know about.  Seems to me that we need a
--force-new-exif flag that osx-packager.pl can pass along to
configure.  No?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting