[mythtv] osx-packager.pl breaks after install of fink

David Snider dsnider at thesniderpad.com
Tue Jan 10 03:37:53 UTC 2006

> 	Hmmm. So why is fink's pkg-config lying?
> What does `pkg-config --modversion libexif` reveal?

That's strange...  it doesn't find anything....
$ pkg-config --modversion libexif
Package libexif was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libexif.pc'
No package 'libexif' found

And sure enough, a "fink list libexif"
shows that it is not installed, but the available version is
0.5.12-3, so I assume it would still fail, besides, the OSX packager
does download and compile the correct version.

Information about 5228 packages read in 8 seconds.
      libexif                0.5.12-3         EXIF Tag Parsing Library
      libexif-dev            0.5.12-3         EXIF Tag Parsing Library
      libexif-shlibs         0.5.12-3         EXIF Tag Parsing Library

> 	Probably not, because:
> 1) the purpose of configure is to autodetect features, and
> 2) the default of newexif is yes

But should configure override a command line option?

> 	Would only be needed if we changed the default to no!
yeah, I suggested that on the Trac ticket.  Is that a bad thing?  If
I understand it correctly, if we default newexif to no, and implement
the patch I put in, then, two conditions would make newexif = yes.
If it is specified on the command line, and if it is detected by pkg-
config.  The current state of the tool is the default of newexif =
yes, but the output of pkg-config trumps all.  The configure script
does not honor the command line option if pkg-config doesn't find the
correct library, even though I have a correct version downloaded and
compiled.  It seems a bit too trusting to decide a package is not
installed because of the output of one tool.  I can understand
setting newexif to yes if pkg-config finds the library, but it is
possible to have the newexif libraries without pkg-config being aware.