[mythtv] [mythtv-users] Playback performance [all platforms]

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Wed Jan 11 22:17:52 UTC 2006

Geoffrey Kruse <gkruse at gmail.com> writes:

> On Jan 11, 2006, at 5:31 PM, David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> Geoffrey Kruse <gkruse at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> I guess I'm interested.
>>

> The Core Video Programming guide:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Conceptual/
> CoreVideo/CVProg_Intro/chapter_1_section_1.html
>
> I have read through this briefly about a month ago.  I was planning
> to take another look at it in a couple of weeks, but here it is for
> anyone else (David) who might want to get a head start.  I also have
> been through the VideoOutQuartz class and might be able to answer
> some questions on that, however I am not the expert on this class.
> Hope this helps.
> '

Apparently both Core Video and Core Image rely on video cards that do
pixel shading. If the card doesn't have a pixel shader, then Core
Video falls back to software. This isn't helpful for my situation, as
the Mac Mini's video card doesn't have a pixel shader :(.  On the
other hand, maybe it would be a good idea for people with faster macs.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting