[mythtv] [mythtv-users] Playback performance [all platforms]

Geoffrey Kruse gkruse at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 21:39:21 UTC 2006

On Jan 11, 2006, at 5:31 PM, David Abrahams wrote:

> Geoffrey Kruse <gkruse at gmail.com> writes:

>>> Interesting that you mention that -- I've been following Accellent
>>> over the last couple of days it has seen a big jump, going to try
>>> it on my Macs tonight. Basically it allows for the graphics card to
>>> accelerate MPEG2 PS recordings just like DVD Player does (which I
>>> use rather than mythfrontend unfortunately). Not sure how useful it
>>> would be for Myth, given we have a complex OSD. On the positive,
>>> Accellent also uses ffmpeg. Check the forums (News and
>>> Announcements and Developer) on http://defyne.org/dvb for more
>>> info.
>>>

>> There is also some excellent Apple written example code at
>> developer.apple.com that explains line by line how to hand video
>> frames to core video.  Once they are there, you can do things like
>> deinterlacing etc using hardware accelerated openGL.  I also think
>> the corevideo playback is opengl based.  It is supposed to be really
>> fast, I'm just not able to wrap my head around both the mythtv and
>> Apple  code.
>>
>> Geoff
>>
>> (ps) I can find a direct link to the code if anyone is interested,
>> I'm just being lazy at the moment.
>
> I guess I'm interested.

The Core Video Programming guide:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Conceptual/
CoreVideo/CVProg_Intro/chapter_1_section_1.html

I have read through this briefly about a month ago.  I was planning
to take another look at it in a couple of weeks, but here it is for
anyone else (David) who might want to get a head start.  I also have
been through the VideoOutQuartz class and might be able to answer
some questions on that, however I am not the expert on this class.
Hope this helps.
'
Geoff