[mythtv] [mythtv-users] Playback performance [all platforms]

Geoffrey Kruse gkruse at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 18:21:22 UTC 2006

On Jan 9, 2006, at 7:42 PM, Joshua King wrote:

> On 10/1/06 7:30 AM, "Nigel Pearson" <nigel at ind.tansu.com.au> wrote:
>

>> Last April, Benjamin Hulley told me about a hack
>> which opens an interface to the hardware DVD decoding:
>> http://www.defyne.org/dvb/accellent.html
>> To my shame, I haven't had the time to explore, though.
>>

> Interesting that you mention that -- I've been following Accellent
> over the
> last couple of days it has seen a big jump, going to try it on my Macs
> tonight. Basically it allows for the graphics card to accelerate
> MPEG2 PS
> recordings just like DVD Player does (which I use rather than
> mythfrontend
> unfortunately). Not sure how useful it would be for Myth, given we
> have a
> complex OSD. On the positive, Accellent also uses ffmpeg. Check the
> forums
> (News and Announcements and Developer) on http://defyne.org/dvb for
> more
> info.

There is also some excellent Apple written example code at
developer.apple.com that explains line by line how to hand video
frames to core video.  Once they are there, you can do things like
deinterlacing etc using hardware accelerated openGL.  I also think
the corevideo playback is opengl based.  It is supposed to be really
fast, I'm just not able to wrap my head around both the mythtv and
Apple  code.

Geoff

(ps) I can find a direct link to the code if anyone is interested,
I'm just being lazy at the moment.