[mythtv] MythTV Usability Report

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 10 21:38:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:01:52PM +0100, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> Robert Tsai p??e v ?t 10. 01. 2006 v 15:51 -0500:
> > > Example: one myth ./configure-d to "/stable", the other one to
> > > "/unstable". In "/etc/ld.so.conf" added path to "/whatever/lib"
> > > and in $PATH added entry "/whatever/bin". And the "/whatever" is
> > > a symlink to either "/stable" or "/unstable". And run "ldconfig"
> > > whenever you change the symlink. That's all.
> >
> > It's not that simple.
> >
> > If the SVN involves a database schema upgrade, you won't
> > necessarily be able to safely run your stable backend anymore.
> >
> > (unless you're actually making copies of your database and media
> > files as well ...)
>
> Of course there is a independent copy of database for each of the
> installations. Forgot to mention it because I felt it was so
> obvious. Sorry.  mysql.txt in the right share/myth folder containing
> different name for each database (for example "stable" and
> "unstable" instead of "mythconverg").

You're kidding, right?

	> > > That's all.

You also forgot to mention that when you use "unstable" to delete a
recording, then when you switch back to "stable", it will still expect
to find the recording there (because its copy of the database still
has it).

So now you have to make separate copies of all data pointed at by the
database (recordings, music, videos, photos). You can be fancy and
make hardlinks or something.

But at this point, all you have are two separate instances of MythTV,
with not much "switching" between two different branches of code ...

--Rob