[mythtv] OSX backend beta test

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Jan 9 19:46:31 UTC 2006

Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> writes:

> On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 11:28 -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
>> I'm beginning to wonder if using MacOS for MythTV is such a hot idea
>> in the first place, as there seem to be important parts of the system
>> that would need to be ported.  Several features like mythbrowser,
>> transcode, mythmusic, mythgame, and mythphone, (and, I presume,
>> upcoming DVD burning(?), which is important to me), seem to rely on
>> linux specifics, and I guess it's going to be nontrivial to port those
>> to MacOS.  I really like the idea of a MacOS MythTV appliance, but not
>> if it's going to be a full-time job to get there.
>
> You're not the only person who wants OSX to be better supported.

I'm sure.  The question is whether anyone else is willing to make
further _investment_ in it.

> I'm planning on repurposing my wife's Mac Mini when she retires it.
> It would be great to be able to hook it up to the Firewire port on
> our cable box at that point.

Well, you can do *that* much since yesterday :)

> Transcode and commercial flagging should be fairly simple to port,
> there shouldn't be any platform specific code in there (though there
> are always little snippets.)

Unfortunately yes; if you enable transcode in config, the build
fails.  I didn't think there was any problem with commercial flagging,
though (?)

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting