[mythtv] OSX backend beta test

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Jan 9 17:02:01 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 11:28 -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
> I'm beginning to wonder if using MacOS for MythTV is such a hot idea
> in the first place, as there seem to be important parts of the system
> that would need to be ported.  Several features like mythbrowser,
> transcode, mythmusic, mythgame, and mythphone, (and, I presume,
> upcoming DVD burning(?), which is important to me), seem to rely on
> linux specifics, and I guess it's going to be nontrivial to port those
> to MacOS.  I really like the idea of a MacOS MythTV appliance, but not
> if it's going to be a full-time job to get there.
You're not the only person who wants OSX to be better supported.
I'm planning on repurposing my wife's Mac Mini when she retires it.
It would be great to be able to hook it up to the Firewire port on
our cable box at that point. Transcode and commercial flagging should
be fairly simple to port, there shouldn't be any platform specific
code in there (though there are always little snippets.)

-- Daniel