[mythtv] Slow keyboard annoyance

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 26 14:35:05 UTC 2006

On 02/26/2006 09:08 AM, Lorenz Hahn wrote:
> Lorenz Hahn schrieb:
>
>> Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> Yup, ISTR sucktastic performance like that with a TNT2 and no nvidia driver on
>>> an old machine I once was running as a backend.
>>>
>> Ok, I'll give the proprietary driver a try to save some patience.
>>
> ... GPU is not supported by this driver ...

Yeah.  NVIDIA dropped support for that one a long time ago.  I think
Isaac and Jarod were suggesting a new video card, not a new driver.  You
should be able to get a GF4MX440 or (even better in case you ever do
HDTV) a GF5200 for $40 or less.
> (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1)
> (uname -r: 2.6.15.4)
> (lspci | grep VGA:
> 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV4 [RIVA
> TNT] (rev 04))
> => no way out.
>
> GANT and blue's behaviour are identical.
> => no way out.
>
> Screen-Resolution: I had to reduce the resolution from 1200x1024 to
> 320x240 to omit the double key press effect. Beside the unreadable
> fonts, which were displayed as a single line of pixels of different
> gray, the rest of the desktop software runs just fine with the high
> resolution. This includes TV and video display.
> => no way out.

I'm guessing that "no way out" means it's not a usable solution.  If so,
I'd agree (and say that a new graphics card is the solution).

> Is there a 'minimalistic theme' regarding alpha-blending demands?
> Is there a way to complete omit any eye-candy? I don't know any reason,
> why one shoud by a new graphic card to debounce a keyboard.

You can change:

Guide Shading Method
    * Alpha - Transparent (CPU Usage - High)
    * Blender - Transparent (CPU Usage - Middle)
    * Eco - Transparent (CPU Usage - Low)
    * Solid (CPU Usage - Middle

and

CPU friendly preview of recordings
When enabled, recording previews will play with reduced FPS to save CPU.

and

Use Transparent Boxes
If enabled, the Watch Recording and Delete Recording screens will use
transparency. Disable if selecting the recordings is slow due to high
CPU usage.

But it probably still won't help enough for that card/driver combo.  I
would say spending $40 ($20 with a good sale) for a better graphics card
is a better idea.  (And, if you're not in the US and can't get the card
for a reasonable price, I can't suggest any cheap alternatives.)

Mike