[mythtv] "ivtv driver has stopped responding"

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sat Feb 11 00:56:50 UTC 2006

On 9-Feb-06, at 4:47 PM, Derek Battams wrote:

> It sounds like your recordings don't ever start, is that correct?
> For me, recordings start, but in the middle of the recording it stops
> and
> then my log fills with the 'select timeout' error until the scheduled
> end of the recording.
>
> Whatever was recorded up until the error is saved and I can watch the
> partial recording.  The error is produced by the select() call on line
> 475 of libs/libmythtv/mpegrecorder.cpp returning 0, which signals a
> timeout.

I figured this one out, at least on my system. My troubles started when
I changed my recording profiles to use mpeg-ts instead of mpeg-ps.
Switching it back restored my ability to record. It's puzzling why that
should be since the list consensus seems to be that TS is the way to go
and PS is nothing but trouble. But, you can't argue with success.

To answer your question, yes, my recordings never started. I added some
logging to myth and enabled the ones in ivtv (using ivtvctl
--set-debug=31) and watched the recording setup sequence which looked
fine up until the ivtv ioctl to enable encoding. After that there was a
refresh_input logged from ivtv and then silence. So, it looks like that
select message is just reporting the facts. Oh, I tried something like
that fix you suggested, resetting the recorder, but it didn't help. I
copied the code from a little after the select where the device is
closed and reopened and reread but all the resetting in the world
didn't help.

Guess I'm lucky that I missed changing the recording profile for live
tv, all the other ones were set to ts and they failed but live tv kept
working. Without that I would have been screwed. On the other hand I
did go on a wild goose chase thinking the issue was some obscure logic
error in how myth does scheduled recordings vs live tv rather than a
driver issue.

Anyway, my advice to to look at what sort of mpeg your recording
profile is set to and possibly change it.

- George