[mythtv] Alsa capture support

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 21 14:11:41 UTC 2006

On 08/21/2006 09:43 AM, Matthew Wire wrote:
> I would like to make an attempt at adding capture support for alsa into
> mythtv.  I have a saa7134 based card which provides a direct alsa
> interface with saa7134-alsa and I would like to make use of this (yes I
> know I could use saa7134-oss but I'd like to do it properly).

Wouldn't saa7134-alsa work with ALSA's OSS emulation (i.e. instead of
using an OSS audio driver module, use an ALSA audio driver module, but
enable ALSA's OSS emulation)?  If so, doing so does not ignore your
requirements ("I'd like to do it properly") since the API used by the
application is largely irrelevant (unless you need access to features
not available in one API--and Myth doesn't).

I'm pretty sure this (and the fact that few devs are using software
frame grabbers) is the reason ALSA API support has never been added to
the recorder.

Mike