[mythtv] Browsing channels

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 21 12:08:06 UTC 2006

On 08/21/2006 06:36 AM, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote
>
>> Channel numbers for different stations have to be unique on the system.
>> Channel numbers are the way you tell Myth which channel to watch in
>> LiveTV, so if they're not unique, you'd have no way to specify a change
>> to the desired channel.
> i note that you say channel numbers
> i recently discovered that the scheduler does not pay attention to
> channel numbers - it uses callsign
> i wish it used channel numbers

But if it did that, since channel numbers have to be unique for channels
on different sources, how would you tell Myth that multiple channels on
different sources broadcast the same content.

Channel numbers are used by the person to change channels in LiveTV and
must be unique.

Channel ID's are used by Myth to identify/change channels and must be
unique.

Callsigns are used by Myth to schedule recordings and /can be/ (but do
not have to be) the same for channels broadcasting the same content.  If
two channels broadcast the same content, the user may decide to specify
different callsigns so that he/she can tell Myth which channel/source to
use for recordings.  For example, I could specify a different callsign
for WKMG (Channel 6) and WKMG-HD (Channel 6_1--the high-def version of
channel 6) so I can tell Myth whether to record shows in SDTV or HDTV.
Or, I could specify the same callsign for both the SDTV and HDTV
versions so that Myth can choose which to use (and, when couple with
appropriate preferences/priorities, Myth can be set up to choose the
appropriate channel for recording).

Mike