[mythtv] MythVideo Metadata

Velorider velorider at publicemail.us
Mon Aug 14 17:47:12 UTC 2006

I just got around to setting up a second Myth as a frontend only.   I've
noticed that the MythVideo metadata doesn't display unless its
retrieved  from IMDB on the remote frontend.  What information I could
discover from the  mail list archive is that MythVideo is a frontend only
plugin.

For my use I  would like to import a video on any frontend and have it
displayed on any  frontend.  I'm focused only the metadata.  I'm fine
mounting the mythvideo  directory via NFS on all machines and placing cover
art in the same nfs  mount.  Just like the video files are placed in a shared
location I want the  metadata also placed in a single shared location, i.e.
the back-end server.

Looking into how to achieve this, Myth provides a myth protocol for
the  frontend to communicate with the backend.  My  thought is to retrieve
the  metadata over this protocol rather then from the local db.  It
seems  rather simple, but I don't know that much about Myth and might just
not  understand it completely.   I realize a complete solution would also
stream  the video over the protocol, similar to MythTV. However, for now it's
baby  steps.  The first goal would be to stream the metadata.  Then worry
about  streaming the video file.

So I'm asking for any feed back about the concept and any additional thoughts.

Thanks
 John