[mythtv] Simulate TV-card ?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Aug 8 02:13:23 UTC 2006

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 10:18:50PM +0100, Steve Daniels wrote:
>
>> I think providing a VMware appliance for either frontend only, and secondary
>> backend transcoding, and/or backened development platforms would be a great
>> idea!
>>

> They weren't setup like the normal appliances, but I run my
> mythconverg database and my main mythjobqueue instance inside
> VMs currently.  The mythjobqueue instance Lets me take advantage
> of faster horsepower around the home network without taking up
> the whole machine.

We use vmware extensively at work.  I certainly have access to possibly
create these appliances.  I haven't tried using a USB capture device
(don't have one) in a VM and running a real mythbackend to see if it
would work but the jobqueue idea is certainly interesting.  Is there a
minimum installation needed to run that?  I'm thinking of a very small
Linux installation that can boot and run jobqueue.  Any pointers?

Kevin