[mythtv] Simulate TV-card ?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 21:01:09 UTC 2006

On 8/8/06, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:

> You can simulate an ivtv-type card using the MpegRecorder.  You can set
> the 'videodevice' value to "file:/path/to/some/mpeg/file.mpg" and the
> recorder will open "/path/to/some/mpeg/file.mpg" instead of trying to
> open a real capture card.  The recorder will loop in this file, so if it
> reaches the end it will start back at the beginning.  This means you can
> have a short 1-2 minute sample file for testing and with that you can
> simulate a multi-hour recording or LiveTV session.  There is a special
> DummyChannel class that is used to simulate the channel changer to allow
> Myth to think it is changing channels.

This could also be brilliant for those that would like to trial mythTV
in say a VMware virtual machine to see how it feels.  (I know I
started out like that but itched to know what playback was like also).

Perhaps we could build one of those VMware 'appliance' images that
folks can download and run up immediately.

Just a thought...

Cheers,
Whytey