[mythtv] MFD Questions...

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Apr 25 08:29:59 UTC 2006

Jochen Kühner wrote:
> if it's so, should we than not add a field hostname to the musicmetadata (or
> in my patches the music_songs) table because the mfd only should access the
> metadta wich is avaiable on the client or server he runs and not all?
>
> if it is so... i create a patch...

I think it's best to get things working as they are just now with a new
DB structure and then think about how to improve things. MFD/MFE are
still experiments rather than mainstream so provided we don't break
anything (i.e. a regression) then I'd say keep thinks simple just now.

Additionally, it will be slightly tricky to add this field. I'm no
expert on MFD stuff but in MM you can scan for new music on any frontend
so who does the music belong to in these scenarios, what hostname should
we use? Say I can for new music on Frontend A and fill in the hostname,
then slightly later I scan again on Frontend B and it finds some new
tunes just added and fills in it's hostname. Technically all the tracks
are available to both frontends, but the hostname is all messed up. It
could use the backend hostname but what is a "backend" to MythMusic
(it's just a traditional plugin)?

I think (and I could be wrong) that the assumption is that all
Mythfrontends will have access to all music files and therefore the
hostname doesn't matter.

I've asked Isaac in another thread if it's possible to branch myth
plugins and allow myself (or anyone who's willing to do someting for
that matter) write access to this branch. That way we can start moving
things along with MythMusic and inject some much needed TLC (tender
loving care) without messing up everyone else. There has been a few
branches created elsewhere of late so I hope this is acceptable.

Col.

--

|     Colin Guthrie      |