[mythtv] syncronizing 2 master backends

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 23 14:42:21 UTC 2006

On Sunday 23 April 2006 15:24, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Stephen Boddy wrote:
> > Not everyone owns their own house, meaning we're not allowed to go
> > drilling through walls or floors and running cable. I rent, so I have the
> > imperfect solution of a bright blue ethernet cable running down my flats
> > hallway. I could try and use wireless, but I've heard too many
> > conflicting stories as to whether it is possible or not.
>
> Usually you can find a route for most cables without leaving any
> significant damage (tho' obviously depends on circumstances). Depends
> how daring you are when renting. I've run cables in a few rented places
> under floor boards and behind skirtings etc. Depends if you are willing
> to take the risk of breaking things or have the skills to patch things
> up again I guess.

Well I recently discovered I'm not half as incompetent as I thought I was
(helped a mate with his bathroom) and if I stuff it up I suppose I can always
pay someone to put it right. I guess my problem is I'm just too much of a
goody two shoes ;-)

> Not tried if for ages but how about powerline networking? Don't know
> much about it but I've heard it can do up to 85Mbps now. Not sure if
> this is with the same pinch of salt as 108Mbps wireless tho' ;)

Oddly I was looking at a set of these in a shop on Friday. Two plug adapters,
so it's like a point to point. Like you, I'm rather suspicious of their
abilities, and their susceptability to interference. If someone turns on a
hoover in another flat, will the throughput go through the floor sort of
thing.
--
Steve Boddy