[mythtv] ring buffer and live TV

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Apr 15 23:41:48 UTC 2006

On Apr 15, 2006, at 3:42 PM, Felix Rubinstein wrote:

> Why do you impose limitations on users?
> Why not to let it choose what he/she wants?
> Did it ever occured to you that your're doing a project for many
> users or you always though about running it on different hardware?

No. The developers are doing a project for themselves. They are kind
enough to share what they've done with the rest of us. Yet, you
complain.

>  And what about live tv, really live like real-time live tv with
> buffering capabilities, man, you have commercial products doing it
> on old hardware pretty good with 0 (zero) delay!

So buy one of those if that's what you need. Why is that so difficult
to understand? If it's because you're too cheap to buy a commercial
system, you don't want myth. Hardware costs to set up myth properly
are much more than a stand-alone system. In fact, Tivo's hardware is
free. Just sign up for the monthly service. Get your instant live tv
all you want.

>  Improper use of myth, what improper in connecting myth with S-
> Video without EPG?
> Guys, stop imposing limitations, your're running on Linux, you have
> all the fancy libraries and OS, just don't impose limitations on
> users, give it a chance by any mean, copilation flag, run-time
> flag, anything.

So when a friend gives you a bicycle for free, do you complain it's
not a motorcycle? Maybe it's not the right color? Needs air in the
tires?

Oh, by the way.. MythTV is on version 0.19. If you wait until version
1.0 I bet LiveTV will be MUCH better than it is now.  If you're not
going to help by writing code, then check back once in a while and
see when someone does.