[mythtv] Memory requirements of current f/e

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Apr 12 23:14:32 UTC 2006

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> I'm not sure either of these are actually leaks. The EIT parsing
> just took a lot of memory. But there is now rate limiting which
> stops new EIT events from being added to our parsing list when
> the number of EIT events cached for parsing exceeds 2000.

Not going to pretend I really know what's going on here, but I think the
correct response is: nice :)

> And the OSD cache probably just consumes a lot of memory because
> is keeps decoded copies of your OSD at all resolutions you've
> used so far. This also needs some cache size limits...

Yeah that's probably wise. I am currently however, not even getting as
far as *any* OSD display. At the moment, my latest CVS build wont even
display the main menu before running out of RAM whereas r9263 seemed to
cope fine. I never tried to see how close to running out of RAM r9263
came so can't really qualify how close to the edge things got. Also I
tend to cheat by "touch"ing the theme cache so it doesn't regenerate
which may save some bytes here and there (I only do if for time and
because it's an NFS root and doesn't have a non-volatile area for the
themecache - i.e. the themecache is copied in on each boot)

I'm thinking that with fancy blends/GL and other such fancy stuff
finding it's way into Myth in the not too distant future, that I should
really invest in a 512 stick to put in the EPIA and be done with it ;)

Col

--

|     Colin Guthrie      |