[mythtv] Memory leaks in SVN

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sun Apr 9 12:03:47 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have finally managed to find a small amount of time to do a bit of
myth dev and have moved up from a CVS version that's about 12 months old
to current SVN.  The new interface looks a huge amount better and the
whole thing has come on a long way!

I'm seeing several issues of varying severity and I wonder if someone
could give me a heads up and help me catch up with the current
development status by letting me know if these are known issues and any
tips for debugging/working around them

1) Frontend is leaking memory badly when playing back mpeg2 files from
DVB recordings (uk).  Memory usage sits fairly constant and then jumps
up by between 300Kb - 2Mb every so often.  Most of this memory is not
released by quiting playback and restarting (perhaps 100Mb is
returned).  It consumes perhaps an extra 400Mb in 30-60 mins of playback
and eventually the machine runs out of swap and the frontend dies

2) On starting livetv playback of a DVB channel, backend often (perhaps
1 in 3 times) goes into a loop and consumes all the available memory
until it runs out of swap and dies.  The frontend never shows any video,
but it does briefly show the name of the channel and what's on.  There
is frantic disk activity right from the start

3) Channel scanner in the backend is frequently getting killed with some
message about glibc free (will take a closer look from a backtrace later).

4) Channel scanner is inserting lots of new channels with names like
"UNKNOWN6#1" and channel number "6#1".  I thought I saw a note about
this being an existing bug when scanning the commits list, but I can't
find the message now?  Can anyone bring me up to speed on what's
happening here please?

5) Radio channels play a few seconds OK, and then starts to stutter.
Log files show messages about "video diverged from audio by more than 30
frames".  I am using the Jack audio player which probably exposes all
kinds of interesting issues here - however, can someone offer me some
thoughts on what might be happening here so that I can have a closer
look.  I have found the relevant patch in SVN so I will try and add some
instrumentation.  Does this work well for anyone else though?  (great
feature though!)

5) Internal player for DVD's looks excellent!  However, on the small
selection of films that I tried (ripped VOB files in mpeg2 format) it
reported a length which might have been about correct, but fast
forwarding seemed to jump the current position counter forward too far
and quickly it says that I am at the end of the film when in fact I am
only a few minutes into it.  Any thoughts on how to debug further?  Is
this a common problem?

6) Backend seems to be consuming a lot more CPU than previously when
recording TV?  Currently it uses 30-40% on a P2.8Ghz machine when
recording 2 channels

Grateful if anyone could give me some ideas on the above in order to
help focus my debugging

System is a dual DVB card machine compiled with most options enabled,
and few significant config settings changed from their defaults as of a
year back and compiled with Pentium 4 specific optimisations.  I'm
guessing that the EIT scanner may be a part of my problem, but not sure
what options affect it with regards to playback/recording

Cheers

Ed W