[mythtv] Is mythtranscode removing mythcommflag's results?

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 29 19:28:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 11:31:59AM -0600, Endaf Jones wrote:
> In my quest to find out why my commercial skip is not working I've
> noticed something strange that I can't explain.
>
> I just recorded a 30 minute program with commercials.  I sat and
> queried the database in recordedmarkup every so often (looking for
> the specific chanid).
>
> 1. I saw lots of type 6's (to be expected, that's the MPEG2 seek stuff).
> GOOD
> 2. when mythcommflag finished, I also saw type 4/5 (commercial
> start/end). GOOD
> 3. commercial skip works.
> 4. mythtranscode started and finished.
> 4. I queried the database again and there were NO types found at all for
> the chanid!!!!  even the type 4/5 is gone!
>
> I can understand mythtranscode deleting the type=6 (the video is no
> long MPEG2, but rather MPEG4 now, so the seek table can be removed,
> I think?).
>
> Did mythtranscode just wipe out the commercial skip list for the
> recording?  Is that my problem or is something else magical
> happening that I don't know about.
>
> I'm running a SVN of today.

FWIW, you can configure the backend to run mythtranscode *first*
before running mythcommflag. As a bonus, mythcommflag runs faster (if
you resize to a smaller resolution, presumably because the frames to
be analyzed are smaller post-mythtranscode). I haven't noticed any
real difference in (mis)accuracy of commflagging when running before
or after mythtranscode.

--Rob