[mythtv] Re: TVRec: Timed out waiting for lock -- aborting recording

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 19:10:14 UTC 2005

On 9/12/05, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/11/05, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 20:33 -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> > > On 9/7/05, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Daniel, is it possible that I have always had slow locks on my NBC
> > > station, but older versions of Myth just did not care?
> > Yes and no, older versions would have blocked until it got
> > a lock, so you would have noticed the delay in LiveTV.
> >
> > This was part of the problem with the old way of doing things.
> > If it never got a lock it would stay in the loop forever.
> >
> > -- Daniel
>
> Well, unforunately my "hack" is not reliable.  My myth system failed
> to record Prison Break tonight because it gave up waiting for a lock.
> What is interesting, is that this is FOX, not NBC.  I guess that means
> that while NBC is the worst offender, it can happen on any channel.
>
> I was running the 9/08 svn of Myth.  I am going to upgrade to the
> latest svn and take a look at it.  I know that Kenneth thinks the
> problem should be solved in the driver, but I don't see how.

At this point, I believe I was able to confuse the tuner, trying to
tune my NBC station.  I believe the tuner was in a bad state when it
tried to record the program off of FOX.  As long as I don't try to
record anything off of NBC on my HD-3000, then all the other stations
seem to work fine.

I would have given up on trying to record off of NBC, but my TV's HD
tuner is able to show that station without any glitches.  Finally, out
of desperation, I put my old HD-2000 back in the system and tried it.
Voila!  My HD-2000 has no problem with NBC.  It immediately gets a
solid lock, and never looses it.  Tried all three of my HD-3000 cards
again, but none of them will lock onto that station.

For now, I have created a new lineup on zap2it just for my HD-2000
card, and made my NBC station "invisible" to my HD-3000 cards.

Myth is working fine for me now.

Daniel, sorry to waste your time on this.  This problem really had
nothing to do with Myth.  Kenneth was right.

John