[mythtv] Managing channel lists for multiple cards

Geoffrey Hausheer mythtv0368 at phracturedblue.com
Tue Sep 13 22:36:10 UTC 2005

On 9/13/05, Bruce Markey wrote:

> Geoffrey, we haven't heard from you in a while and I assumed
> you'd moved on to better things.

Nope, I've just been happy with my box as is, and haven't had much time to
do anything else

Do see the examples in the posts that Mike pointed to but I'd
> like to touch on some key points here.

I wasn't aware of this, and it would be a solution for me.

Minor point but you should be able to have one zap2it account and
> set two 'lineups". They allow up to 4 per account.

Hmm, i tried this, but it wasn't happy (because I wanted to use the same
provider for both profiles), and it didn't like this.

If the channel number and the "callsign" match, the EPG should only
> show one line. I suspect that this and what follows are the result
> of mis-matched callsigns.

Actually in my case, the reason is probably some hacks that I had done to
make it work (possibly unnecessarily) a long time ago (basically, my
callsigns don't match)

Even though this may work for you for now, there really needs to be
> a unique chanid for each provider/channel and listings in the program
> table for the shows that will be carried over the channel for that
> chanid.

Right, sorry, there are too many terminologies here. What I want is a unique
chanid for each provider/channel, and today I have 2

That said, it sounds like you are proposing that you should have
> one video source but a different set or subset of channels from
> that source associated with an input. That may work but that actually
> loses some functionality. Say you have one source with ch 1-999. Your
> digital input has chanid 1001-1945 and for your analog inputs, chanids
> 1003-1073. There is no distinction between 1003 from the analog input
> and 1003 on the digital input. Currently, by having two different
> sources I can use channel priority to choose if I'd prefer 1003 over
> 2003 or visa versa.

Yes, that is basically my proposal. I agree that you would need to move the
priorities from the channel table to the dtv_multiplex table (or whatver),
and I guess this would help the DVB guys too (I haven't looked at it too
carefully, but if you have 2 DVB cards which get overlapping
provider/channel pairs, there would seem to be no way to choose one over the
other today (besides setting one card to a higher priority). Of course this
is (I would guess) an unlikely case for them (in DVB I assume you are likely
to either have different provider/channel pairs per card, or all the same,
and not a mix). So basically, my 'issue' won't be one if I reconfigure my
box, but the current solution is still kinda kludgey in my eyes (having
multiple chanids for a single provider/channel. But there is lots of stuff
associated with the channel table (tuning parameters and whatnot) so I guess
it would be a lot of work to actually move everything around, and for very
little gain).
I guess I'll just suck it up and live with 2 DD accounts for now.

Thanks for the response.
.Geoff