[mythtv] Managing channel lists for multiple cards

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 13 15:33:00 UTC 2005

Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:

> I have a setup with 2 PVR250s (well, one is a M179, but whatever), one
> of which tunes directly from Cable, and the other tunes through an STB.
> The direct-tuning gets channels 1-100, whereas the STB can get
> channels 1-999 (or there-abouts)
>
> Today, I need 2 DD subscriptions, with overlapping channels, which
> also means that my low channels (1-100) show up twice in the EPG.
>
> In addition, I can't use 'Record on ths channel' and have the
> scheduler be efficient.
>
> My question is, would anyone object to moving channels over to using
> dtv_multiplex (or something similar)?  It looks like dtv_multiplex is
> designed to seperate the channel number from the card.  In this way, I
> could have a single subscription (all my channels), and then set the
> secnd card to only pick up a subset of the channels.
>
> Is there a better way to do this?  The downside is that it could
> complicate channel setup (though the default would remain as they are
> today...when a card is assigned a provider, it gets all channels from
> that provider)
>
> Just a thought.  If this is a reasonable proposal, I'll try to work up
> a patch.

Even easier than that.  Myth already has the functionality you want, but
you need to fix your configuration.  Use the channel editor to set
equivalent channels to have the same callsign.

See also (bunch of posts by Bruce Markey).

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/144240#144240
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/129816#129816
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/57591#57591

Mike