[mythtv] Current DVB problems rundown

Kenneth Aafløy lists at kenneth.aafloy.net
Sun Sep 11 01:36:26 UTC 2005

Søndag 11 september 2005 02:20, skrev John P Poet:
> On 9/9/05, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
[SNIP]
> > Is there any way to reliably disable this feature ?
> > That might be useful if we are trying to determine a better
> > starting frequency. Not all frontends support getting the
> > actual tuned params, plus I'd like more control.

AFAIK, not currently, but I seem to be recalling some talk about
adding a feature like this for use in frequency scanning from
userspace.

> This theory into my problem sounded really good.  Unfortunately I
> don't think it is the cause.
>
> The or51132 module defines:
> step_size = 0;
> max_drift = 0;
>
> Those values set to zero effectively disables the zigzag scan.

Yes, but the frontend itself could still be doing it..

Without the ability to read back the frequency the tuner is currently
set to, or the datasheet, you would have no way of knowing.

> Kenneth, do you have any other ideas?  I will keep digging into the
> dvb drivers, but this is pretty new to me.

Tried to find the datasheet for that frontend, but had no luck. Without
it I would only shoot in the dark anyways. But since you are experiencing
this on two different programs, I would say that linuxtv-dvb is a safe bet.

Btw, the reason that zap locks right away after tuning the same parameters
the second time, is that the frontend thread is not shutdown before some
idletime (closing the frontend descriptor) has passed, which defaults to 5
secs. See the dvb_shutdown_timeout module parameter of dvb-core.

Kenneth