[mythtv] Suggestion for improving SLOW channel changing inLiveTV.....

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Sat Sep 10 21:11:07 UTC 2005

On Sat 10 September 2005 20:36, Isaac Richards wrote:
> Yes, it shouldn't be written.  It does *absolutely nothing* to solve the
> issue unless you have a single combined frontend/backend with an old
> v4l-only card.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on this matter but for the sake of
clarification I'd appreciate your reply to my questions below.

> The speed of channel changing can be improved in other, better ways.  And
> by 'better', I mean, 'applicable to every user, not just some'.

I agree that keeping PVR capabilities whilst achieving speeds equivalent to
those which are already accepted in current TVs is the best goal. Is that
achievable though?!? Maybe I grab the wrong end of the end, but people seem
to suggest that the buffering/ringcache is responsible for most of the delay
and  now that eliminating it can't be done? So is the real limitation the
TV-though-PC model? Are the TV cards themselves the flaw?
--
Stuart Morgan