[mythtv] Suggestion for improving SLOW channel changing inLiveTV.....

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Sat Sep 10 19:36:41 UTC 2005

On Saturday 10 September 2005 03:17 pm, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Sat 10 September 2005 19:30, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> > Stuart Morgan wrote:
> > >As long as there is a significant time delay when using buffering Myth
> > > needs to include both buffered and non-buffered Live-TV modes. The only
> > > question should be who has the time and desire to do the necessary
> > > work?
> >
> > That's just it.  It doesn't NEED to.  You WANT it to.  Since it seems
> > you're the one with the desire we look forward to your patch implemented
> > so that it works for all the cards and client/server configurations Myth
> > currently supports.  If you don't have time or ability to implement your
> > desired feature then please stop flogging the dead horse.
>
> It does NEED to it Myth is going to be a user-friendly application used by
> all*.
>
> I'm trying to correct some notion that people should get used to the
> behaviour of Myth instead of making it better. Few applications written in
> the real, commercial, world survive if you tell customers to 'get used to
> it'. I'm not telling anyone to write the code - but several people are
> suggesting that it shouldn't be written.

Yes, it shouldn't be written.  It does *absolutely nothing* to solve the issue
unless you have a single combined frontend/backend with an old v4l-only card.

The speed of channel changing can be improved in other, better ways.  And by
'better', I mean, 'applicable to every user, not just some'.

Isaac