[mythtv] Suggestion for improving SLOW channel changing inLiveTV.....

Jeffrey Brent McBeth mcbeth at broggs.org
Sat Sep 10 19:38:18 UTC 2005

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 08:17:17PM +0100, Stuart Morgan wrote:

> It does NEED to it Myth is going to be a user-friendly application used by
> all*.

Then post a patch.  That is really all anyone has asked of you.  Wild
generalities won't get you or us anywhere.  (I'm going to sin myself below)

> I'm trying to correct some notion that people should get used to the behaviour
> of Myth instead of making it better. Few applications written in the real,
> commercial, world survive if you tell customers to 'get used to it'. I'm not
> telling anyone to write the code - but several people are suggesting that it
> shouldn't be written.

Bull shit... Every single app/OS/Web Page/etc in the "real" commercial world
tells people to get used to it, or else it fails.  (not that their world is
any more real than this one).  It just isn't possible to make everybody
happy all the time.  Oh, an example?  WinFS is a feature that has been
promised to users since before Win95, and it has been dropped yet again
from Vista.  People get used to how things work, then decide that that is
the intuitive and correct way for the system, when really, they have just
"gotten used to it".

Everything in application development is a matter of balancing resources,
design, and algorithms.  I have not yet seen in this discussion a suggestion
to speed up LiveTV channel switching that would work across MythTV's
operating environment outside of Isaac's "profile it, and fix what's slow".
If someone can write up a patch that does improve LiveTV switching without
degrading the features MythTV already has, I'm sure it would get accepted.
Anything else is just smoke and mirrors.

Jeff

Computer Science is as much about computers as astronomy is about telescopes
	-- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra (1930-2002)